Works of Art
This unusual but effective mural, on the north wall of the main foyer, is formed mainly from large-headed nails. It was executed by Edward Bawden, CBE, RA, under the terms of the Edwin Austin Abbey Memorial Trust Fund for Mural Painting in Great Britain, for the new Church Centre. It was unveiled on 29th March 1971 in the presence of the Lord Mayor of Birmingham.
The left-hand plaque commemorates both the first chapel here (1748 - 1802), and the second chapel (1802 - 1820).
The central plaque shows the third chapel (1820 - 1970). Round the outside of the plaque on the right are the names and dates of the ministers of Carrs Lane from 1748 to 1964.
This mural was created at Carrs Lane in 1993 by a group of Nicaraguan artists, sponsored by Oxfam, from whom it is on permanent loan. It is painted on five large demountable panels, and is above the stairs from the car park entrance to the Main Foyer, over-looking the Fair Trade Shop.
city of music, dance and colour
land of lakes and volcanoes
Both are represented on the mural: Birmingham by its skyline and social scene contrasting wealth and poverty, sweeping down across the piano keyboard from which emerge musical notes containing symbols of local concern relating to the family, workplace, and environment.
Nicaragua is represented by the volcano as a symbol of its people, whose anger erupts into freedom. The rich colours of the volcano denote the love of the Nicaraguan people, who sing a song about their strength in unity with each other.
See a larger version and find out more about Birmingham's Nicaraguan mural.
A fine marble statue of Dr R.W. Dale, the famous 19th century minister of Carrs Lane Chapel, sculpted as a memorial in 1897 by Edward Onslow Ford, was re-discovered during the celebration of Dale's centenary in 1995.
It was then cleaned and restored by Birmingham Museum and Art Gallery, and unveiled in its new position on the main foyer at Carrs Lane on July 2nd 2001 by the Lord Mayor of Birmingham, Councillor J. M. Whorewood.
On the occasion of the unveiling of the statue at Carrs Lane, the Birmingham local historian Dr Carl Chinn gave a lecture on Dr Dale's work in Birmingham, entitled 'A duty owed'.
It is on permanent loan from Birmingham City Council.
This mural was painted in 1990 by Gabrielle Oliver, on cupboards on the Lower Foyer, which unfortunately had to be removed in 2011 for the new room layout.
It showed agricultural scenes in a third world country:
Cultivation, harvest, bringing produce to market, handing out food, and centrally, an open-air communion celebration by the people.